Threads of Life

 

Does every cloud has a silver lining? I do not know what happens before birth or after death but in my gross emotions, I was bitter. As I stood gazing at the dark sky the cold breeze blew through my spine and the purple hues of the sunlight left a hint of jealousy on my face. Though it has been a few months since my granny passed away it seemed like yesterday, probably because she was closest to me. As a child, she would point out to some unknown star and say that we come from them and we go back to them after death, that is our final home. I quite did not understand what she meant but her words made me feel like pixie dust and I would search for some unknown dream home in the sky.

Though she suffered from a chronic ailment for a very long time she would remain calm. She seemed to be free from the fear of death as if getting ready slowly and gracefully for her final abode. Like a sun-kissed honeydew, her face would be dipped in peace and joy. I had spent most of my childhood days with her. Her rooms would always smell of freshly cooked food, talcum powder, jasmine oil, and buzz with old country music. Music had been an integral part of our lives. But slowly it was replaced with the smell of antiseptic and monitoring screens. At times she would recognize the guests and at times she would not, but she greeted everyone with a broadened smile or a tight hug. Her body shrunk and the oversized robes wrapped her thin skin that layered the bones. With every passing day, she could hardly walk or move at all, but her sparkling eyes and radiant smile would overshadow the sickness of her body.

The dark circles on my face now have started becoming prominent, my lips have turned black in colour my hair has gone thin as if some unknown fear and loneliness is engulfing me in its dark veil. My therapist confirmed I showed signs of improvement as the doctors always give effortless service and shower words of encouragement to boost my energy. But can flowers bloom when the roots have rot?

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts