A Letter to Mother Earth
My Dearest Mother Earth,
The first thing I remember was warmth.
Gentle hands lifted a soft lump of rich, dark soil and placed it carefully upon the ground. More soil followed, cool and fragrant after the rain. I was bathed in its comforting embrace. Then those nurturing hands lovingly placed tiny seeds into the earth and covered them with fresh manure. I curled myself deeper into my mother's womb, safe beneath the soil.
The people smiled with hope in their eyes.They spoke of beautiful gardens, greener forests, cleaner rivers, saving water, protecting the soil, and building a better tomorrow. They wished one another, "Happy Earth Day," again and again, before quietly walking away.I often wondered who they were trying to save.
Was it you, Mother?Or was it about themselves?I have no grand promises to make. My life itself is my promise.
My friends often whisper that the world above is not always kind. Many creatures fear us because they do not understand us. Some shrink away at the sight of us. Others may even harm us. Perhaps it is safer beneath your loving embrace, where your heartbeat echoes through every grain of soil.
And yet, I have never been afraid.Because I know something they do not.The Creator does not shout.The Divine whispers.
It whispers through the curling leaves. It sings through the patient moss. It dances in the rhythm of the rain. It lingers in the fragrance of rain-soaked earth.And deep beneath the ground, where I quietly work, I hear those whispers every single day.
Long before the first sunrise painted the mountains with gold, before flowers bloomed, you cradled me in your warm embrace. My first home was never a palace or a nest. It was your fragrant soil, as soft and comforting as a mother's lap.
There are many of us beneath your surface, though we rarely meet. We quietly live our separate lives, each carrying out the work you entrusted to us. Our world is silent, yet it is filled with purpose.
Only once in a while do I rise close enough to glimpse your radiant beauty.I see the endless blue sky stretching above the green earth like two old friends embracing each other. I watch sunlight paint the leaves with gold and hear birds welcome the morning with songs. Those moments are brief, for I belong beneath the soil.
And I am content.For I have witnessed miracles that many never see.I have watched tiny seeds sprouting into new lives in the darkness, only to emerge as flowers smiling towards the light.I have seen little ants carry burdens far greater than themselves without a single complaint.I have watched fallen leaves return to the soil, becoming nourishment for new life. In your world, nothing is ever wasted.
Everything becomes a blessing for something else.You asked me to loosen your soil in order to make room for roots to breathe. To prepare a home where sleeping seeds could dream.
At first, I wondered whether such a simple task could truly matter.But one spring morning, I felt the tender roots of a tiny sapling stretch through a tunnel I had quietly made.Months later, birds built their nests among its branches.Children laughed beneath its shade.A weary traveller rested against its trunk.Butterflies danced among its blossoms.Flowers bloomed around its feet. In that moment, I understood that even the smallest act of love can become a home for countless lives.
Every handful of soil I turn becomes a prayer.Every tunnel I create becomes a path for life.Every root I nourish becomes my offering to you.That is my promise.Not one spoken with words.But one lived every single day.
Sometimes I wonder that if your human children paused for just a moment and if they knelt down, not to conquer the earth, but simply to touch it with gratitude perhaps they would hear what I have always known.Your endless grace,your love with which you have always protected all of us in your nourishing womb.
One day, when my little journey is over, I know I will become part of your soil once again.That thought does not make me sad. It feels like coming home.Until then, I will continue to curl through your gentle earth, listening to the songs of hidden roots, greeting every tiny seed that finds its way into the darkness, and waiting for the soft footsteps of rain.
Perhaps no one will ever know my name. No one will thank me.And that is perfectly all right.Every morning, I wake wrapped in your warm embrace. Every evening, I rest in the same loving arms. What greater gift could I ever ask for?
So, Mother Earth, I have no grand promise to make today.You have already given me everything,a home, a purpose, and a life filled with quiet miracles.
All I can say is,Thank you for letting me be one of your smallest children.
With all my love,
Your little Earthworm
Comments
Post a Comment